CHAPTER NEWS & RESOURCES
Amazing Opportunity through the AHS Chapter Ambassadors Program
Student members! Check out this great opportunity to receive funding support to attend the AHS national event by becoming an AHS Chapter Ambassador. More information below!
AHS National Conference
June 16-19, 2024
The 2024 National Conference at the spectacular Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld will celebrate our musical legacy with the welcoming theme of enjoyment and entertainment. This once-in-a-lifetime conference experience will surprise and delight with new perspectives on our instrument and its repertoire set against the backdrop of Central Florida's world-class entertainment industry and memorable attractions.
Curious what it is like to attend a National AHS Event?
Hear what our Vice President Kathryn Harms has to say about her experiences attending a National AHS Event. "I attended my first American Harp Society Conference after my freshman year of college, and it was an inspiring and unforgettable experience! The schedule was packed with incredible performances, masterclasses, seminars, workshops, and more, and there was something for every harpist and harp-lover. I often found it difficult to choose which events to attend because I wanted to hear everything.
I ran into old friends, made many new ones, and went home with a very long list of music to learn and harpists to follow. I found it particularly special to simply be among so many harpists with both shared and diverse interests, and I have since attended AHS national events whenever I can."
Please Choose one of the following topics for your video essay.
1. What skills do you hope to gain through attending the 2024 AHS National Event?
Talk about what you hope to experience by attending an array of workshops and concerts at the national event, and how you think they will benefit your engagement with the harp. (Visit https://www.harpsociety.org/national-conference for more information about the event!)
2. Are you inspired to create a community engagement project involving the harp? Do you have ideas for sharing your love of music and the harp with your community? Tell us about your vision for engaging with your community.
3. Describe how you imagine using the knowledge you gain from attending the national event to benefit your AHS chapter members and shape chapter activities in the future.
4. Some students have a background, identity, or interest that is so meaningful they believe it makes them the ideal candidate to be a Chapter Ambassador. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
These videos will be submitted to both parts of the application process.
What is a Chapter Ambassador and Why Should I Apply?
A Chapter Ambassador is a local student chapter member nominated by the Mile High Chapter Board and approved by the National AHS. If nominated by the Mile High Chapter Board, the student will receive a grant of up to $400 from the Mile High Chapter; then if the application is approved by the AHS, the new Chapter Ambassador will receive a matching grant of up to $500*. The student will then be able to put this money toward registration costs, travel expenses, and attendance expenses for the year's AHS national event.
*If any additional money is donated to or fundraised by the individual Chapter Ambassador, the National AHS will match those funds up to a total of $500.
Is There Anything Else I Should Know About Being a Chapter Ambassador?
Yes! Check out this document with all of the national and local requirements here.
More information about the program can be found on the National AHS website: www.harpsociety.org/chapter-ambassador-program
Who Can Apply?
Any student who meets the following criteria can apply. There are two parts to the application process. (see below)
Any Harp Student Ages 12 - 21
Must be a member of the local Mile High Chapter
Have participated in at least one Mile High Chapter event within the past year.
If you are interested in applying, please review the application HERE.
1. Eligible students must submit the following application materials to our local Mile High Chapter to be reviewed by the board. There will be a total of up to two nominees selected by the Mile High Chapter after a brief review process.
2. If the student is selected to be endorsed by the Mile High Chapter, they will be notified by the Chapter and may submit their national application (by February 1, 2024) to the AHS Chapter Ambassador Committee to be considered for the AHS Chapter Ambassador Program. Accepted candidates will become AHS Chapter Ambassadors and receive the matching funds.
Please have all application materials (listed below) submitted by 11:59 pm, January 15th, 2024 to the Mile High Chapter Board by email at email@example.com. Use the email heading Chapter Ambassador Application.
1. Completed application form
2. Three to five minute video essay
3. A 3-6 sentence endorsement submitted by your harp teacher
If you have further questions please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Mile High Chapter Ambassadors:
- Ezekiel Harris
- Julianne McCollough
- Alex Wong
- Adaleigh Hellman